Skip to main content | Accessibility guide | Site map

Bushey and Oxhey Methodist Church

The history of Bushey and Oxhey Church

The present church grew from the vision of 19th Century Watford Wesleyan Methodists to provide a church for the community of New Bushey, now better known as Oxhey Village, then growing around Bushey station, opened in 1841 on the London to Birmingham Railway.

Services began in 1885 in a loft at the back of the nearby Wheatsheaf Inn before moving a year later to a Tin Tabernacle in Villiers Road. Unable to expand on the existing site the church relocated to its present position, opening May 24th, 1905. In these years the leading lights and fund-raisers were local business men such as Arthur Trewin, founder of Trewin's department Store in Watford.

The Tin Tabernacle was not abandoned but dismantled and re-erected adjacent to the church as the Sunday school, a function which continued until the erection of a new hall in the 1960s. Throughout its life the church has evolved with the times, providing extensive facilities for community meeting space and in the 1980s revamping the church worship area.

Now in 2007 it is remodelling the front to provide a new entrance and meeting area that is sympathetic to the original design and provides modern facilities in keeping with today's needs.

100 Years of Bushey and Oxhey Church

A photo album celebrating 100 years of our Church.


Picture1.jpg

Picture10.jpg

Picture11.jpg

Picture12.jpg

Picture13.jpg

Picture14.jpg

Picture15.jpg

Picture16.jpg

Picture17.jpg

Picture18.jpg

Picture19.jpg

Picture2.jpg

Picture20.jpg

Picture21.jpg

Picture22.jpg

Picture23.jpg

Picture24.jpg

Picture25.jpg

Picture26.jpg

Picture27.jpg

Picture28.jpg

Picture29.jpg

Picture3.jpg

Picture30.jpg

Picture31.jpg

Picture32.jpg

Picture33.jpg

Picture34.jpg

Picture35.jpg

Picture36.jpg

Picture37.jpg

Picture38.jpg

Picture4.jpg

Picture5.jpg

Picture6.jpg

Picture7.jpg

Picture8.jpg

Picture9.jpg